Thursday, February 7, 2008

My gift to her.....

I knew my great-grandmother, Erma Powell, for over 14 years. She was a fantastic human being. Even up till when she was 80-some years old, she would be dancing to good ole' "Go, Jonny, Go". She was an amazing woman that anyone would adore.

Anyway, to get to the point of this blog, she was a Knitter (capital K, as Stephanie Pearl would say), and when my sisters were born, she knit each of them special things (Corinne a sweater, Danielle a TON of booties), but when I was born, she didn't make anything...

She always felt bad about that. So later in life (I think I was 8 or 9), she still had that guilt pressed to her heart (while I was completely unaware of anything of the sort), so she started to knit me this sweater from the Mary Maxim catalog. Well, if you can see these pics, she got as far as the hearts, and even though her mind was "itching" to press forward, her hands were "aching" for her to stop. That was the last attempt she ever made to try to knit again.

Well, about 3 years after her passing, I was informed of all of this. And my mother also informed me that my mom recieved all of her knitting/yarn/anything related to the "cult", as my "non-conformed" friends would say. Well, I couldn't just let that go, now could I?! She had the pattern that my great-dear grandma tried to accomplish in her hands, and so I took it, went on the Mary Maxim website, bought the yarn that suited, and here it came!


......oh, and by the way, this is my first intarsia attempt EVER! I'm surprised it's going pretty well so far. lol I'm making it smaller than what she would've made it though, so when I have kids, they can have it at toddler/baby years (the time that they aren't able to say their opinions, cause most likely, by that time, I'm sure it'll be reeeeeeally outdated).

To conclude this blog, let me say that some of the best times were with my grandma. She was really good with kids. She knew how to make chores/water/veggies/anything into a fun time. She knew how to make me feel better when I was sick. She knew how to cheer me up when I was down. She was a giving person. She was a great role-model. Not until she was gone did I find out that she was a Knitter, but I hope that one day, especially when I have kids, grandkids, great-grandkids, and the like, that I'll be known for the same great things that she was.

No comments: